- Set up an LTI consumer for Canvas
- Decide which collections of media your LTI users will have access to
- Edit user roles to control permissions
- Perform your Canvas + MediaCore integration
- Embedding your MediaCore site into Canvas
- Uploading and embedding videos into your Canvas pages
This documents covers some of the best practices to consider when setting up your Canvas LMS with MediaCore. Throughout this document you will find tips on the following topics:
- How to auto-create collection within MediaCore when uploading content directly into Canvas.
- How to give LTI users access to a specific collection, or set of collections when they navigate to your MediaCore site.
- Assigning roles and permissions to your LTI users to control access rights such as viewing and creating media.
- How to properly install the MediaCore Edu App into Canvas.
To get stated, navigate to your MediaCore admin panel and click on "Site Settings" from the drop down menu on the top left of the screen.
- Select "Authentication" > "Configure LTI Consumers".
- Next, click on the "Add New" button and enter a Consumer Key and Shared Secret of your choice. These keys will need to be added to your MediaCore Edu Apps settings within Canvas (See section 4 below for more information).
A good way to start is to create a parent collection which will house all of your Canvas courses. It is important that this collection does not inherit any permissions schemes from the rest of your MediaCore site. To do this:
- Navigate to your Admin panel and from the Library click on the "+" in the bottom left hand corner of the page and create a collection called "Canvas Collection" or something along those lines. Once you've created the collection, you can drag it into the appropriate location under the top level collection.
- Select the new "Canvas Collection" and click "Manage" in the right sidebar beside "Shared with".
- Uncheck the "Automatically include members from..." checkbox so that this collection does not inherit any permissions from the root.
Now head on back to the "Configure LTI Consumer" settings page and do the following:
- Check the checkbox beside "create a collection for each new LTI context" at the bottom of the page.
- Choose the "Canvas Collection" you created above as the place where your Canvas courses will be auto-created.
- This will ensure that any Canvas courses you use the MediaCore Chooser from will be automatically created as collections inside the parent "Canvas Collection".
If you would like to give your Canvas users access to other collections in MediaCore, you can check these off under the "Assign to collections" list. Note that all Canvas users will have access to each collection you select in this list. Access will not be course specific and will be global to your Canvas site.
You may also want to restrict access to the collections shared with the Public or Registered Users groups within Canvas. To do this, select the box next to "Hide collections shared only with the Public & Registered Users groups".
You can also give individual Canvas users or groups in Canvas access to additional collections. Click here to learn how.
LTI security roles allow you to specify exact permissions, such as viewing, uploading or publishing media for each LTI role that will access your MediaCore site from Canvas. To edit your roles:
- Click on "Roles" and select "Edit" next to the LTI role you'd like to change. Generally users will come through with one of 3 roles: Student or Learner, Instructor and Administrator.
- By default "students" can upload and publish media. If you want them to be able to upload but not publish their media, then uncheck the box next to "publish media". Check out our support documentation for more information.
- If you neglect to give a user role either View or Create media permissions then they will be unable to access the Chooser. when they click on the MediaCore logo to open the Chooser they will receive a message that reads "Access Denied". For more details click here.
- You can also edit a particular group's role manually in MediaCore. For each course collection at least one LTI group will automatically be created in the Groups pane of your MediaCore site and will be added to the course's collection. You can go into a particular collection > select "Permissions" and delete the existing LTI group and re-add it with a new MediaCore role. To learn more about managing LTI users, groups and roles click here.
4) LTI Users and Groups in MediaCore
For each one of your course collections at least one LTI group will automatically be created in the Groups pane of your MediaCore site. The group will appear with the name of your course collection.
You'll notice that some LTI collections have multiple groups created for them, this is because you have users with different roles logged into this collection. In the screenshot below you'll notice that there are 2 collections for "Applied Finance Project" - one for the instructor role and one for the learner role.
Each user that has viewed this course with a particular role will automatically be added to the appropriate group. You can see the number of users in each group next to the group name.
To access the "Groups" page in MediaCore navigate to "Site Settings" and click on "Groups". To change the role associated with a group click on "Edit" next to the group name and choose a new role from the dropdown menu.
Alternatively, you can navigate to "Library" > select the collection this group belongs to > click on the cog next to the collection and select "permissions". From here you can delete the group and re-add it with another MediaCore role from the dropdown menu.
- Sign into Canvas and select the course you would like to integrate with MediaCore.
- Click on "Settings" in the left navigation bar.
- Click on the "Apps" tab, search for MediaCore and select the MediaCore LTI tool and click "Add App".
- Name your app, enter your Consumer Key and Shared Secret you created in MediaCore and enter your MediaCore site URL. In the "please enter the path to default page field" add either a / if you want the "Media Library" tab to open your MediaCore home page by default and enter /library if you want your MediaCore library page to open by default. In the example below the MediaCore Library page will open by default.
For more information on adding and configuring MediaCore's EduApp in Canvas check out our support article.
Once you have added and configured the MediaCore LTI Tool you'll see a "MediaCore" tab in the left navigation menu. Clicking this tab will take you to your MediaCore site. From here, students and staff will be able to see any content that has been uploaded or embedded into their course via the Chooser plus media from any of the additional collections that were selected on the LTI consumer page in your MediaCore site. Also, videos and media that were dragged into that courses collection from your MediaCore admin panel will also be available.
6) Uploading and embedding videos into your Canvas pages
Videos and media can be uploaded into many pages across your Canvas site such as Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Syllabuses, Quizzes and Modules. Basically, you can add media into any page that has access to the text editor. To get started:
- Click on one of the tabs from the list above and create a new page or event.
- Click on the MediaCore icon in the text editor to bring up the MediaCore Chooser.
- Click "Add" next to the video you'd like to embed onto your course page. Alternatively, if you'd like to upload a video then click on the upload button on the left side of the Chooser.
- If you'd like to edit a previously uploaded video or publish a draft click here for more information.
- The video will then be embedded into your editor window as a yellow box. Click "Save Changes" once you're happy with the content and your video or media will be displayed in the section you embedded it into.
For more information on uploading and embedding videos into your Canvas courses as well as more detailed information on setting up MediaCore's EduApp in Canvas check out our support article.